The good news… you have just moved into your dream home! The bad news is that some of the walls have been damaged during the moving process. Don’t worry, here are some basic tips to get you started on patching small drywall holes, dents and scratches.
For small holes:
1) Place a self-adhesive mesh patch over the hole.
2) Using a drywall knife, cover the patch with lightweight joint compound in a crisscross pattern and feather the edges to blend with the rest of the wall. To feather the edge, increase pressure and angle on the drywall knife as you reach the outer edges of the patch area to minimize, or thin, the joint compound on the drywall.
3) Let the patch dry. If needed, apply a second coat of compound.
4) Sand smooth.
For dents and scratches:
1) Scrape away any loose debris from the dent or scratch.
2) Cover the dent or scratch with fast-drying spackle to bring the spackle level with the drywall surface and let it dry 24 hours.
3) Sand smooth.